Sunday, 4 May 2008

Correction of the 2nd exam

Violence and violence in the media are heatedly discussed topics. In such discussions it’s often claimed that especially children learn about violence on TV.
I totally agree with Michael Medved when he explains the four lies of the media. First of all Medved’s fist mentioned lie by directors is that violence is a part of our life and so it is not bad when it’s shown on TV. Similarly to Medved’s opinion I think that (thank God) hardly ever someone get’s threatened by a rapist or someone else, so to the majority of the people violence like shoot-outs is just fiction. In addition to that directors also claim that violence in movies like “Kill Bill” wouldn’t influence people because it’s made unrealistic which is true, but like Medved I think there‘s still a part of people who get influenced or become copycat killers. Likewise I’m also sure that you know much about a movie even if you haven’t watched it because of the media. Finally, the 4th lie Medved explained and I agree with is that non-violent movies aren’t successful because for example “Finding Nemo” is very popular and I think there’s a way especially for children not to become influenced so much.
Violence and violence in the media are a real problem, like a theory says, but there are also other ways how you can become violent. First of all I think it can be learned by watching TV or by grown-ups. I also think that violence can be inborn, but in my opinion in most cases violence is the result of frustration because frustration often leads to aggressive behaviour.
I believe that violence caused by these three arguments can be reduced especially among children. First, a child should grow up in a non-violent family where the parents have a good relationship to the child. Second, a child shouldn’t be punished physically because violence leads to more violence. Finally I’d say that children shouldn’t watch TV because there’s too much violence on it.
Concluding I would say that especially children are impressed by Idols or TV, but if the violence and the length of time a child is allowed to watch TV is reduced, maybe there wouldn’t be so much violence.

No comments: