Once, as I was working in Thornfield Hall as servant from the age of five up to sixteen years, I got to know a very strong-willed character. She was an orphan and had a really hard and bad childhood. The person who I think of was the governess Jane Eyre. I know her since she started teaching Adèle, a French girl. Jane came from a school called Lowood and already had worked there for some time.
Soon after we had met the first time we made friends and some weeks later she even was my best friend. We also were sleeping in the same room and actually the hard work wasn’t as bad with a good friend on my side. It really was a good time in Thornfield since she was there, although sometimes there were strange things happening and the best examples for this are the weird and horrible screams during some nights. I never really got to know who the screams were from, but when there were some noises and cries Mr Rochester looked as if he knew something and also behaved very curious and mysterious, but he never said anything.
He also never asked someone for help until one night a really loud scream broke the silence of the night. Jane and me, we both woke up and hurried out to see what had happened. After all the other people in the house went back to bed Mr Rochester asked us to help him and spoke something about blood and getting sick because of it. We followed him into a room and noticed the stranger Mason. On his clothes and also on his body was blood. Everywhere was blood, especially on his arm. After our master went out to fetch a doctor we had to keep an eye on the wounded man.
We tried to help Mason although we got a little bit sick because of the blood and because we had to wash away the blood, but it was flowing very fast and Mason’s condition had declined. We really tried to stop the blood, but it was too late. Some minutes before the doctor arrived, Mason died because of the loss of blood.
After this terrible experience we often tried to make our master speaking about the person who had wounded Mason, but it never worked.
Some months later I left Thornfield to marry and to work in another household, but I heard that the cries were from Mr Rochester’s wife who had a mental disorder. It was said that she attacked Mason some times before she died when Thornfield burnt down. I also heard that Jane Eyre married Mr Rochester. I really hope that she did because I think during her work as governess she was fallen in love with him.
words:469
Wednesday, 2 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
t: I had known here since she started (1)
exp: we became friends (1)
t: we also slept ....(2)
t: were the weird ... (2)
g: he behaved curiously/mysteriously (2)
g: He never asked anyone for help (1)
g: Jane and I
str: on his clothes there was blood (1) everywhere there was blood
t / exp: his condiction was declinging --> deteriorating (1)
str: we wanted to make him talk about ... (2)
exp: "it never worked." --> but without success
g: some time before
g: her work as a governess
t: she fell in love (2)
You really write a story and it's still part of the original novel too. Well done!
Post a Comment